Draft (2019-05-30): Rules subject to change.
The Boston GuitarFest is pleased to present the Academy competition for players ages 16-20 (at least 16* and no older than 20 by June 30th, 2019)
* competitors younger than 16 years old may be accepted on a case-by-case basis only if they are also participating in the Academy program. See rules below for details.
- 1st prize: $750 and a
shared performance at one of the following year’s festival concerts
- 2nd prize: $400
- 3rd prize: $200
- 4th prize: $100
Schedule for 2019
Draft: 2019-06-14 | (rules and schedule subject to change)
- Preliminary round: Saturday, June 29, 9am-11am
- Final round: Sunday, June 30: 9am-11pm
- Contestants must be registered as participants in the Boston GuitarFest Academy Program or Institute Program (must be a registered participant in this year’s Boston GuitarFest — specific program determined by age and skill level as detailed).
- ages 16-21**
* A previous year’s first place winner cannot compete in the academy program competition the following year.
* * Students younger than the lower limit of the Academy may compete in the Academy on a case-by-case basis AND ONLY IF THEY HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED INTO THE ACADEMY. Please email the competition director AND THE ACADEMY DIRECTOR to request this exception. Students older than the age limit of a given competition division (i.e. YGW II), and students registered for the Academy (e.g. by exception), may under no circumstances compete in any YGW competition divisions.
- Preliminary round: not to exceed 10 minutes.
- Final round: not to exceed 20 minutes. This work may be the same or different as in the preliminary round.
- Individual movements from major works are acceptable.
- No concertos or chamber music will be permitted.
- All repertoire must be performed by memory.
- Original works by the competitor are allowed. Performing an original work does not guarantee any competitive advantage and may present some risk. Recommended to consult your teacher beforehand.
- Only four competitors will be chosen for the final round.
If you have ideas about required repertoire and are unsure about their fulfillment of the requirements, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification or confirmation.
Register for the Academy Competition at https://apm.activecommunities.com/necmusicprepce/Activity_Search/boston-guitarfest-academy-competition/16269
2018 Academy Competition Winners
1st Prize – Felix Dallaire
2nd Prize – Michael Vascones
3rd Prize – Christ Habib
4th Prize – Aytahn Benavi
5th Prize – Benjamin Lauring